“The authorities are releasing them, but Boko Haram are killing soldiers that they capture. This does not make sense to us at all. We continue to sweep across the bushes to flush these people out, and then the government will release them. Does that not amount to wasted efforts?”
In reaction to the development, soldiers who confirmed the release of the suspects told TheCable on Tuesday, that they did not understand why suspected Boko Haram members are being released in large numbers.
Some soldiers at the war front in the North-East Nigeria have expressed disappointment over the release of 1,400 ”repentant” Boko Haram suspects.
“A lot of soldiers are not happy about this. We were there at the Maimalari barracks when some of these Boko Haram people were released,” one of the soldiers said.
Babakura Jato, commissioner of information in Borno state, on Monday stated that 1,400 had been released in three tranches since Operation Safe Corridor programme was launched.
Another soldier said he believes that most of the released suspects will find their way back to crime.
Speaking with TheCable on the matter, Onyema Nwachukwu, defence headquarters’ spokesperson, said the releases were in line with Operation Safe Corridor.
“The civil organisations involved in the operation include UNICEF, International Office on Migration (IOM) and relevant government ministries and security agencies. Not left out of the oversight structure of the operation is the Gombe state govt where the DRR facility is located.
“We’ve made some releases, that’s the truth. We should know what the operation is about. But take note, it’s not that we capture Boko Haram suspects and then go back and release them. No,” he said.
“You wonder why Boko Haram members are on the increase? When we arrest them and bring them here, some top people would come and start negotiating their release. But, I will tell you some of these so-called suspects are returning to the bush and they were never repentant.”
As a testimony to the effectiveness of the Safe Corridor initiative, so far, about 800 ex Boko Haram fighters who would have unleashed unimaginable terror on citizens have been admitted and out of which 287 of them have been successfully rehabilitated and reintegrated into society, with many still undergoing the DRR programme,” he said.
The operation he said is under the direct supervision of the defence headquarters and managed in conjunction with 13 civil organisations.
At the launch of the operation in 2016, the military said the aim is to rehabilitate and reintegrate repentant Boko Haram members back into society.
for more update, kindly follow us on all our social media platform @citisoundinc